Internships and hectic travel schedules might take up the majority of our summers, but there’s still time to sit down and reflect on the things that make you happy. Especially because there are some days where the worst possible things that could happen end up happening. (Not gonna lie, I spilled water on my Macbook and got my bathroom lock jammed from the outside today.) Sooo, to make myself feel better, I wanted to share with you a few things that make me happy.
1. Anything GHIBLI. I could watch and rewatch all the films produced by Ghibli studios, with my top favorites being Spirited Away, Howl’s Moving Castle, Kiki’s Delivery Service, and Castle in the Sky. The best thing about these beautiful animation films is that they have amazing soundtracks. Music box? jazz? those melodies always get to me.
2. Showering in the middle of the day. To me, morning and night showers always seem very routine and often rushed and sleepy. But when I have the time to relax and take a nice, long mid-day shower, I can blast whatever music I want and enjoy the warm water and the floral scent of soap (fully conscious HAHA), and I love the fact that when i come out of the shower, the sun is still bright and shining outside.
3. Taking a walk through the city with my earphones in. Throwback to those elementary school days when my sister and I sang along to the soundtrack of Barbie as Princess and the Pauper, pretending to me inside a music video. I might not openly admit to still doing this, but I do love feeding my ears music while walking through the streets of Manhattan. Bonus points if the song on shuffle perfectly matches your surroundings/mood.
4. Dessert. For those of you who have a sweet tooth like me, you know how good it feels to have a delicious treat waiting for you to top off a good meal. Especially with the plethora of dessert venues all over NYC, I get so excited thinking about dessert even before I start eating my main course.
5. Shopping. There is nothing a little retail therapy cannot solve. It doesn’t even have to be anything extravagant – it can be a small treat to yourself. For me, it’s a little something at the cosmetics section, or if I’m feeling it, a pair of nice shoes.
6. Taking off my bra. This may be a little TMI, but taking off my bra after a long day is such a liberating sensation. Body, be free!
7. Waiting to tell someone good news. Hearing good news is a fantastic feeling to begin with, and when you can share it with someone the joy is multiplied a thousandfold.
8. Eggs. Are not just for breakfast. They can go with anything and everything and completes any meal with a boost of protein. Aside from the brunch scene (#yolkporn #eggsbenedict), I like to eat my eggs scrambled with lots of cheese, in a framble kind of way. In fact, they are kind of a comfort food for me, competing in the top 5 along with chips and dip, anything deep-fried, and sushi.
9. Good weather. My definition of perfect weather is a nice, breezy weather in the 70’s with some sunlight bright enough to warm my soul but gentle enough not to burn off my skin. Sadly this applies only to about three or four days out of 365 in New York, but when it does I just love to walk outside and bask in that sunshine.
10. Compiling this list. Just sitting down and thinking about all the things that make you happy can make your life so much better. It reminds me that I have so many things to be grateful for, and it gives me an opportunity to perhaps take action and express that gratitude.