When my phone told me this morning that it was 6 degrees F’, I was like, “Nope, not going outside today.” This weather is keeping me stuck inside the kitchen, so I thought I would share with you what I threw together for a simple lunch for one! With so many free pizza lunches and cookies lately, maybe this was a good time to make myself a healthy, protein-packed meal.
Being a busy/lazy college student, I inevitably tend to lean towards the frozen section whenever I do groceries. However, that doesn’t mean that I can’t be healthy…I mean, the world outside is frozen, so it just makes sense for me to cook with frozen food, right? Let’s see what I have in my fridge.
1 cup frozen veggie mix – diced carrots, sweet peas, green beans, lima beans, corn (I used Whole Foods’ vegetable blend)
Handful of frozen broccoli florets
1-2 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Turkey pieces, pre-cooked
Cooking time: 5 minutes
1. Leave the frozen veggies outside for a bit – they don’t have to be completely thawed, though.
2. Heat up olive oil on a small frying pan.
3. Throw in the veggies and stir-fry for a minute.
4. Tear the turkey pieces and toss them on the pan, too.
5. Optional – I squeezed in some red pepper paste to add some spice. Or you can just sprinkle a pinch of salt.
6. When the veggies are almost cooked, crack in the egg and scramble away!
Eggs and Lean meats like turkey have a lot of protein, which can keep you satisfied until dinnertime.
This was my super quick, simple, and healthy lunch. If you want, you can top the dish with a drizzle of Sriracha hot sauce, too!